Speaking to a wall, part 3.

From Nikon's priceless customer service:

There are many reasons equipment comes in for service. Besides repairs, there is typical service, maintenance, cleanings and other issues. Again, due to the volume of support we offer over the phone, through tech support at 1-800-645-6678 it is not possible to call every customer that sends in equipment, but we are happy to assist any time you may have questions.
Average repair time is 7-10 business days, once the equipment is received and evaluated.

Nikon does offer a loaner program through www.nikonpro.com, it may be something worth looking to, as it is free and offers many benefits.

Again, with Hot Pixels, this is something that is going to happen and can be corrected with a re-mapping of the sensor. Looking online, here a few links I found that may help you better understand. Because hot pixels can be re-mappped we do not replace cameras for an issue that can be fixed.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/hot-pixels/index.htm

Technology is still advancing with digital and while it has vastly improved since the First D1, and with film, noise, film grain has always been a factor. If you have not done so, turn on High ISO NR on the D90.

And, once again, my apparently pointless response:

I'm really not looking for an explanation for excuse as to why it takes a long time. I'm just saying I find it disrespectful and dishonest.

It took 2 full weeks for my camera to even be admitted in the shop. Tracking it online I could see that it basically stayed all that time with you before you even started working in it.

Again, I don't really care if you have too many cameras coming in for service, if you do, you need more people in your technical department. And, if most cameras are coming in for routine cleanings and check ups, then you should prioritize service to defective equipment you sold at full price to your customers.

I'm technically savvy enough to fully understand what hot pixels are and how they occur. Point is, this is not my first DSLR. But it's the first time I had this happen. Never had I had a single pixel burnt. Much less over 100 in every shot. Don't you think this sensor has a bigger problem than just something you fix with remapping? Well, I do.

Bottom line is: You sold me a lemon.

But my frustration go much beyond that. I can't believe that in the few months I had this camera I was deprived of using it for over 5 weeks now. That's what's disrespectful and dishonest. The simple fact that I'm spending and apparently wasting my time writing letter over letter to Nikon and nothing happens proves is.

As for Nikon Pro, it all sounds good doesn't it? But unfortunately I don't have a friend to refer me. But the absurd part of this is that I have to prove that I am a "valuable customer" before I get potentially accepted "after review" to join a group that supposedly gets better treatment. In other words, everyone else –me included it seems, get just what they deserve. Disdain.

I wish you, and by that I mean Nikon, had the vision to see both the benefits of having evangelist customers as well as the damage of customers that lost complete confidence on you. But since you apparently don't, let me illuminate you.

The former spends his or her time selling your products by referral, they are true evangelists of your brand and increase both brand value and sales. In other words, they are your most valuable customers, your most effective sales people–and you don't even need to pay them, they actually pay you.

The latter, on the other hand, will with them same passion speak against your brand simply by relating his or her frustration. And since a product in your category is bough with aid of research and word of mouth, this often become the reason people don't buy it. When shopping online for products, for instance, research shows that people will look at bad ratings first, as a check for possible problems. The old customer service adage was that every unsatisfied customer would tell his or her story to 9 other people. This was written years before the internet. Nowadays, that number is closer to 900 or 9000. Which doesn't take great math skills to realize its cost.
In other words, does it really pay off to treat your customers this way if that will result in you loosing so many more potential customers? The answer is no.

And here I am wasting my time again with an email that won't probably have any effect on my case. But again, It will certainly affect the 900 or 9000 people that would potentially come after me.

In the end, this would make a great Harvard Business Review case study. How to turn your most loyal customer advocates against your brand.

Hopefully you, unlike, me take something home from this email exchange.

10 comments:

  1. I have had similar experiences with Nikon Service and will never ever buy a nikon anything again. You are right. They are a company that is indifferent to their customers. I doubt they full understand how they became succesful but all things change and with today's economy, those changes happen more quickly. I, for one, hope they land head first into a pile of horse dung.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I'd like to comment my case with you because I'm another one affected with this issue. Please, could you please contact me by email to gmail's "thereeler"?.

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that the service people at Nikon are very friendly when dealt with on the phone, but in email can be very sterile.

    I would not advise anyone shooting with the D90 to do so at 3200. It becomes a noise machine and yes, the pixels get hot. With a semi fast lens, I have gotten pretty good results up to ISO 1600… and that's pushing it.

    3200 ISO isn't truly available until you buy a camera worth a couple more thousands of dollars unfortunately...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My d90 has hot pixel at 200 iso out of the box. Plus it does not focus well beyond 4feet, focus is not tack sharp no matter what kens you put even the 35mm f1.8 ags on a tripod. Focu is really foo bar sometimes it is very sharp most times it I close to sharp but not sharp. This is my first bad experience though and my earlier d5000 which apparantly has the same sensor never showed these issues for the 2months I owned it.

    I am hoping to return this nikon d90 back to costco and really wait for nikon to come out with a camera that has a better sensor . My friends d40 is over 3yrs old and does not have a single hot/dead pixel for 30sec exposures

    ReplyDelete
  5. My nightmare and letter to NIkon:

    March, 2010

    Yasuyuki Okamoto
    President & CEO Nikon Inc.
    Melville, NY


    Dear Mr. Okamoto,

    I have been a semi-professional photographer for over 10 years. My photographs have been used domestically and internationally for magazine covers, DVD and CD artwork, photo books, and on a variety of websites. I use my photography as a manager of a band that travels worldwide.

    Three years ago, my boss gave me a Nikon D80 as a Christmas present. I bought a $1600 Nikon 70-200 VR zoom, a $600 Tokina 12-24 zoom, and a $400 Nikon Speedlight 800 to use with the D80. Together with my $2,000 Macbook pro, I carry all this around the world in a backpack containing $6000 worth of photography and computer equipment.

    In February of this year, my D80 sustained minor damage to the lens mount. I precisely followed Nikon website instructions and overnighted my camera to the Nikon service center in El Segundo. It included my contact information and a request for repair. I did not request warranty service. The package was delivered on February 19. This is where my nightmare with the Nikon Service Center began.

    1. No communication of receipt

    I received no communication from Nikon either by email or phone that my camera had been received. I followed up with a phone call and was told it would take 4 to 5 business days before my camera would be entered into the system. This seems an extraordinarily long time.

    2. 13 business days later – no communication

    I received no communication either by email of phone from Nikon for the following 13 business days. I was not able to take photographs at four concerts our band did during that time, two in Texas and two in Virginia.

    3. Phone call to Nikon service center

    On March 9, I called the Nikon Service Center again, explaining my frustration with the complete lack of communication during the previous 13 business days regarding my camera repair status. The person I spoke with said I would receive an email with further information.

    The email from the Nikon Service center contained the following message:

    Dear ........,

    I would like to inform you that in order for us to repair your camera, which is non US product, we have to have proof of purchase according to Nikon's polices and procedures. Don't hesitate to contact us for any further information.

    This is adding insult to injury. This camera was given to me as a gift. NIkon must know there are multiple legitimate ways of obtaining camera equipment:

    • it can be given as a gift, as in my case
    • you can inherit it from a family member
    • you can obtain it in a trade
    • you can win it in a contest

    These are just a few examples of legitimate ways of obtaining camera equipment where the owner does not end up with a receipt or “proof of purchase”. When receiving a Christmas gift, I don’t ask the person for a proof of purchase, a receipt, or where they purchased it.

    Mr. Okamoto, I trust you can imagine that I am extremely angry with the unprofessional conduct of the Nikon Service Center. To sum it up, the Nikon has:

    • Failed to communicate with me in a timely manner, not contacting me in 13 business days from the day they received my camera.
    • Failed to provide me with a repair estimate.

    Currently, my camera is “being held hostage” by the Nikon service center. The Nikon service personnel have failed in every imaginable way and have made Nikon look like a 3rd rate company.

    To re-iterate: I am not asking for warranty repair. I am willing to pay reasonable service charges. I simply want my camera repaired and returned to me so I can take photographs of our band. I desperately need my camera. I look forward to hearing from you or one of your staff about how this matter will be resolved in a quick and professional manner.

    Kind Regards,
    FdJ

    I'll post again if I hear anything from Nikon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog and story, thanks for posting it! I'll definitely reconsider my choice to buy a Nikon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI, did Nikon ever end up helping you? I have had Nikon cameras for over 20 years. I have enjoyed the products, but have never needed customer service until I bought a P7000 pocket camera. Took fantastic photos until it stopped working on Christmas day. I have had a horrible experience with Nikon's Service (lack of) trying to get it repaired.
    Thanks for any input.
    Kevin Jamison
    kgjamison@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Connect with me, nikon remapping available distantly.
    remapnikon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nikon remote remapping
    Hot pixel defect compensation. I'll send you the sofrware that you could do it yourself.
    remapnikon@gmail.com


    Shooting image adjustment .

    ReplyDelete