And the story goes on...

Here's the latest official email from Nikon and my response below.

I do apologize you feel that you were not treated correctly. Due to the equipment that does come in for service it is not always possible to contact each customer directly. The automated system allows for information to be given to you the customer, so you can maintain and obtain information on the status of your repair. Average repair times once a product is received is 7-10 business days.

Nikon provides an online log in system that allows you to watch the status of your repair. The issues you were having with your D90, while frustrating is something that is typical of digital sensors and occurs with any digital camera that your own, regardless of brand.

Answer Title: What are defect pixels?
Answer Link: http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=342&p_created=1034350377

Your camera is currently under SO# XXXXXXX, and was written up and evaluated on 2-19. Your can check the status of your equipment online at http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-And-Repair.page.

Billing Name: XXXX
Order Number: XXXXXXX

Because Defect/Hot pixels are a part of the environment, this is something that can and will occur. Re-mapping or adjustment of the pixels in the sensor is what is done to correct this. The Noise Reduction (NR) feature in the camera can also help this.

What ISO do you generally have the camera set for? If you have it set to Auto, try shooting at the lowest ISO that you may need for your images.

Are you shooting night sporting events? What events are you typically shooting?


My response...

the reason for my frustration is the way Nikon is handling my case.

I honestly believe more attention should be given to each customer on products that cost north of $1000.

If the volume of service is overwhelming to Nikon and doesn't allow for a more personal
treatment as you put it, that can only mean 2 things: your products are too often defective
or you need more people in customer service. I'm sorry but it's that simple.

Look at Apple, for instance, I had issues with their products before but not once was treated with disdain. And from a volume point of view, look at Amazon.com. No one handles more customer service issues than they do and that's never been an excuse for leaving their customers in the dark.

I think it's unfair and disrespectful to deprive me of my camera for so long because of something that is the manufacturer's fault. When I take my car for service, I get a loaner. When I buy something defective from Amazon, they send me a new one. When an Apple product is flawed, a new one is given, no questions asked, no time wasted.

You should have given me a new camera the first time this happened. But I understand you can't do that all the time if your cameras show hot pixels frequently. But on the second time, you should have acted proactively and replaced my camera immediately.

I had many Nikon cameras and lenses. Spent several thousand dollars and influenced countless people to buy your products. But in Nikon's eyes, I'm just customer #60003957XX. And I'm sorry, but even a customer # shouldn't be treated this way.

Now, responding your questions:

> What ISO do you generally have the camera set for?
3200. That's the single reason I bought the D90, for the supposedly high quality up to 3200 ISO. I shoot under dark conditions all the time. That's part of my job.

>If you have it set to Auto, try shooting at the lowest ISO that you may need for your images.
I only shoot in Manual or Aperture priority. Never in Auto. I can't lower the ISO, again, I bought the D90 to be able to shoot at 3200.

> Are you shooting night sporting events? What events are you typically shooting?
Architecture and food photography at restaurants under actual light conditions.
http://www.nosaladasameal.com/2008/12/french-laundry.html
http://www.nosaladasameal.com/2008/10/per-se-new-york.html
http://www.nosaladasameal.com/2008/10/wd50-new-york.html

Still no answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment